DSEI is nearly here! Get prepared…
The UK government is condemning violence in Syria, just days before inviting other dictatorships to shop for weapons at the London arms fair. Despite having threatened military action against Assad, it will still host his weapons suppliers at the arms fair. The arms fair fuels death, conflict, fear and repression the world over.
The arms fair is pivotal to the world’s arms industry – this means we have an opportunity to make a real impact on the fear, death and repression that it causes.
The arms fair is also our chance to intervene with alternative visions, and stand in solidarity with people across the world who face its weapons. That’s why we’re really excited to see so many people are planning to take action against the arms fair.
Mass action on Sunday
This looks like it’s going to be huge! The nearest DLR stations are closed, so remember to catch a rail replacement bus for the short journey from Canning Town. There’ll be workshops, music and an open mic – more info (including travel) on the Occupy vs the Arms Fair page. For final details of the meeting point, check this site or call the infoline (07766 323978) from noon tomorrow.
Loads more actions have been announced in the last few days. Find one that appeals to you on the full events list. There’s a drones protest, a wreath laying, arms dealer speed dating, a media stunt at Parliament, an info point running Monday-Friday near the fair…
Spreading the word
We have a template letter about DSEI you can send to your local paper, or you could get creative and write your own?
There’s also loads of info to share on social media:
- Invite all your friends to the Facebook event for Sun 8 September.
- Share the new video of a cheeky action bringing the Business department’s business home
- Share the video of impact of weapon sales in Bahrain
- Share the image on illegal cluster munitions at the fair
- Share the image on Assad’s arms suppliers at the fair
Can’t make it to London?
- Why not ask your MP to challenge the arms fair when the government’s arms sales unit is debated in parliament next week?
- Or pay a visit to an arms fair exhibitor near you…
Look forward to taking action with you in the next week!