After an afternoon with flipcharts all over the place, the agenda for the Get ready for the arms fair! event on 12 June is shaping up really nicely.
Here’s how the day’s shaping up…
10.30am-11am Welcome and Introductions
Take part in this session to meet others from your region and find out who might be interested in similar actions to you.
11.30am-12noon The Arms Fair: what we know
Hear the latest information on what goes on at DSEI arms fair, which nasty regimes have been invited etc. Also a whistlestop tour of some of the creative and inspiring actions people have taken at past arms fairs.
12.15pm-1.30pm Get ready for the arms fair with some action skills
Choose from one of the following workshops:
- Fun and effective actions & demos
A session to explore some of the basics: What is it that makes an effective action? How do we make sure we get our message across? How do you plan and carry out a fun and effective action or demo?
- A crash course in creative action: street theatre, clowning, occupying space
Challenging the arms trade doesn’t have to be a sombre affair. There’s loads of fun, creative ways to make it harder for the arms fair to do business. From clowning to flash mobs to occupying space, come along to this workshop to share ideas and get inspiration for our planning session in the afternoon.
- Direct action (for novices)
- Direct action skillshare
Want to form an affinity group? Want to learn how to lock on to anything, deal with police “public order” nastiness, plus everything in between? Or just do something effective and walk away? This is the workshop for you.
2.15pm-4.45pm Action-planning open session
The afternoon will be an open space session for people to work together to come up with ideas for action, help develop those ideas with others and pin down some plans for the day of action! If you have a burning desire to work with others on a particular action, want to help get others involved, or can help with some of the logistics on the day of action, you might like to suggest a topic for the afternoon. Or just come along and see which ideas take your fancy…
- 2.15-2.30 Collectively setting the agenda
- 2.30-3.15 Lots of different discussions take place (and a legal briefing for those who are interested)
- 3.15-3.45 Feedback from small groups and some decisions on what to take forward
- 3.45-4.30 Back to small groups to develop the plans and delegate tasks to make them happen
- 4.30-4.45 Feedback
4.45pm-5pm Next steps and close
Let us know you’re coming!
- Please let us know if you are coming, so we can get an idea of numbers. Please also let us know if you will need crash space (a place to sleep) or creche space (for kids on the day) as soon as possible.
- If you can help out on the day, please get in touch.
- If you can’t make it to London for the day, but would like to host a workshop in your area contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Any questions? get in touch.