Taking action against DSEI 2013September 25, 2013
A massive arms fair with 30,000 ‘trade visitors’ took place in London on 9-13 September. It welcomed:
- The world’s worst human rights abusing regimes
- The Russian arms suppliers to Syrian President Assad
- The companies supplying teargas used in Turkey, Brazil and Bahrain
- Israeli companies displaying “battle-tested” weapons
- The US and UK seeking the next generation of weapons for their wars, while the arms companies aimed to set the agenda for more exorbitant military spending.
The deals that begin here fuel the arms trade the world over. Death, injury, fear and repression are exported from the arms companies on our doorstep.
But they didn’t have it all on their own terms.
The arms fair was met with daily direct action, as people found creative ways to undermine and intervene with its business. Watch this video, read about the amazing week of action and check out the fantastic photos and media coverage.
We’re not going to stop until they do.
Grassroots action succeeded in shutting Australia’s arms fair down. We want to do the same here. So keep an eye out for ways to help step up the pressure before the arms fair is due to return in two years’ time.
- Keep an eye on Twitter for updates on action: @CAATuk and @stopthearmsfair #stopdsei #occupydsei #beatdsei
- Pay a visit to an arms fair exhibitor near you.
- Join the email list to stay in touch!