Take creative action to Disarm the Gallery!June 6, 2012
The National Gallery hosted the official reception for the DSEI arms fair in 2011 and regularly hosts arms trade events. Stop the Arms Fair coalition has launched a campaign to Disarm the Gallery. We want to keep up the pressure with lots of pop-up creative actions around the gallery. Why not get together with your friends and plan your own?
So far the gallery has seen:
- Sixteen ‘artists’ set up their easels in front of the gallery and paint the message “Disarm the Gallery”. See the video here.
- Groups of people sit down in front of the masterpieces to sketch out the same message.
- An artist unveil his alternative militarised version of a National Gallery painting in front of the original.
- Regular leafleting outside the entrance to encourage visitors to tell the Director what they think of the gallery’s support for the arms trade.
Inspired to do something yourself? Campaign Against Arms Trade can help with:
- Leaflets: We have hundreds of leaflets to give to visitors to the gallery. Even if you and a friend only have an hour to spare, why not borrow a couple of artists’ costumes and a stack of leaflets and head down to the gallery steps?
- Props: We have lots of artists’ smocks and berets, sketch pads and pencils, paintbrushes and easels that you’re welcome to borrow! We have other bits and pieces too so feel free to ask if there’s something you’re looking for.
- Media support: Talk to us if you’d like help publicising your action via social media or with a press release!
- Inviting others to take part: If you have a great idea that needs a few more people, let us know and we’ll try to help spread the word!
Just email campaign[at]caat[dot]org[dot]uk or call 020 7281 0297 to let us know how we can help! Please note that CAAT asks that actions it supports abide by our non-violence guidelines.