Friday 11 September 2015
11:45 - 15:00
Prince Regent DLR station
Join us for a workshop and discussion followed by a creative action as part of the week-long Stop the Arms Fair campaign outside the Excel centre, East London.
• Rita Chadha (Refugee and Migrant Forum of Essex and London) about the refugee detention regime in the UK
• Natalie Bennett, (leader of the Green Party) about the UK’s failed foreign policy and massive arms supply at the root of the world’s worst refugee crisis since the Second World War
• Alex Scrivener (Global Justice Now) on the global inequalities that are part of the cause of migration and refugee flows
• Speakers with personal experience of the asylum process in the UK, including Arnold (from Sierra Leone) and Kiarash (from Iran)
• We will also have a phone link from Calais so we can offer solidarity with those refugees being prevented from reaching the UK, and hear their stories
After the workshop take part in a creative action to highlight the injustice in allowing free movement of weapons while prohibiting the free movement of people. (We recommend you bring a dark blazer and some shades or other ‘formal’ looking attire if you want to get involved in the event)
Join the Facebook event.